The President of the Senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki, and his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, have raised the alarm over an alleged plot by the Federal Government to implicate them and their colleagues in the Peoples Democratic Party.
They said the latest plot was to twist the facts of the invasion of the National Assembly in order to indict them and their PDP colleagues. The alarm was contained in a joint statement by the Special Adviser to Saraki on Media, Yusuph Olaniyonu, and that of Ekweremadu, Uche Anichukwu, in Abuja on Friday.
According to the statement, the two leaders said after receiving the interim report submitted by the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris, the Presidency had constituted a panel to review the report and submit a final recommendation.
They alleged that the panel was given the mandate to turn facts on the head and blame the invasion of the National Assembly on the two leaders of the Senate and present them as having worked in tandem with the sacked Director-General of the DSS, Mallam Lawal Daura, to stage the parliamentary security breach.
The two leaders said, “We have been reliably informed that instead of the Presidency to set up a public inquiry or judicial commission to probe last Tuesday’s early morning invasion of the National Assembly as being demanded by the general public, they have commenced a process of manipulation and fabrication.
“The Presidency has set up a closet panel, which would work to a predetermined conclusion in which they will now claim that the Senate President and the Deputy Senate President worked in collusion with ex-DG of DSS, Lawal Daura, to stage the invasion.
The duo disclosed that senators from the ruling party had hatched a plan to impeach them on Tuesday.
The statement read, “They want to shield the fact that the previous night before the invasion and up till the early hours of Tuesday, there was a meeting of the All Progressives Congress senators and that the plan was for them to be moved in a Coaster bus into the National Assembly complex later that morning for them to purportedly remove us and select a new Senate President and Deputy Senate President.”
“Their plot only failed because of the media, particularly social media, Nigerians and the international community responded very swiftly as some legislators who came into the complex were refused entry by gun-wielding, hooded security operatives.
The statement further read, “Now, they want to turn the facts on its head and blame us for their botched plot against democracy. We are hereby alerting all Nigerians and members of the international community that the present Nigerian government will stop at nothing to destroy, suppress and incapacitate the opposition. This is their new tactic and plot as we approach the period of the 2019 polls.
“We hereby reiterate our earlier position that the coup against democracy as represented by last week Invasion must be probed through an independent judicial commission of inquiry which will produce a comprehensive report. We reject any manipulated and fabricated investigation” the two Senate leaders were quoted as saying.
The presiding officers also said they had also uncovered a sinister plot in which the government planned to use the anti-graft and security agencies to incarcerate them and some members of their families beginning from next week, all in a bid to break their will and effect their removal.
The Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood, could not be reached for comment on the matter on Friday as his line rang out several times.
A text message also sent to his line had yet to be replied to as of press time. The IG had however said in the letter that the police believed that Daura was working for some politicians and investigations were ongoing.
“It is crystal clear that the Principal suspect, Daura, may be acting the script of some highly placed politicians to achieve selfish political gains, hence his unilateral and unlawful decision to invade the National Assembly complex,” Idris had said in the letter.
The Presidency on Friday said it was surprising that the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki; and his Deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, could allege that the Federal Government was planning to implicate them for the last Tuesday invasion of the National Assembly by men of the Department of State Services.
The Senior Special Assistant to the Acting President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, said this in an interview with our correspondent.
Akande said the Presidency had made it clear that those involved in the invasion within the nation’s law enforcement agencies would be identified and dealt with accordingly. He, therefore, wondered why Saraki and Ekweremadu would consider themselves to be in the group of those the government promised to sanction.
The presidential spokesman said, “I don’t understand why the state will make allusions because what the Presidency said was that everyone that was involved in the violation of our constitutional order through the invasion of the National Assembly within the law enforcement agencies will be identified and disciplined appropriately.
“I don’t understand why the state will, therefore, suggest that the investigation is about the two National Assembly leaders.
“The duty of the Federal Government on this matter is to ensure that everyone within the law enforcement agencies that were involved in the invasion of the National Assembly which we considered as a violation of our constitutional order will be identified and sanctioned.
“It is therefore surprising that the two National Assembly leaders will consider themselves among that bracket of people that have to be identified and appropriately sanctioned. “I am surprised on why they should think the investigation is about them.”